Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Septic maintenance questions

Frank wrote:
wrote:
Google septic pumping chart:

http://www.nowra.org/files/KnowYourS...g% 20chart%22

1. Household chemicals like bleach don't hurt the septic system.
Microbes are everywhere and re-establish themselves automatically and
quickly. Even if you amazingly manage to sterilize the tank water,
microbes are in your waste and in your tank and pipe walls.

2. Additives are a scam.

3. Garbage disposals are practically standard equipment for a modern
kitchen and are very convenient. There's no need no deprive yourself
of one. Just check the septic pumping charts and adust your pumping
schedule accordingly. Pumping out a septic tank is CHEAP.

Great thread. Excellent comments. I like your #1 as wife sometimes
goes crazy with "Iron Out" which removes stains from toilets but
probably sterilizes septic.

Another comment, I would like to add, is you should know where your
clean-out is. When I bought this house, which was built by builder as
a spec house, clean-out was buried and I had to have septic cleaner
find it and add well ring and cap. For my 2nd drain field, switcher
box was buried and when I needed to switch, I dug it up myself (tough
to find) and had to repair it and added a well ring and cap myself.
It's a good idea to know where everything is if you need help and need
to call someone.

IMO, a disposal can work just fine with a septic system, or it may be a
disaster. Like most things, what counts is how it's used. If you use
the disposal for small scraps from food prep, washing dishes, etc, it
will be fine. If you intend to put lots of bulk garbage down it that
could easily go elsewhere, then you will likely have problems.

When I do food prep over the sink and am left with a pile of peels, I
grab most of them and they go in the trash. The remainder get washed
down the disposal, which I think makes a good compromise.