Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Making the plunge

Ron
The 14442 seems to be well thought of here on the rec. I use the Craftsman
15" and like it. Others hate it. I began on the old monotube model and still
have it as well. Look for a low speed of less than 600 if you can. I like a
high speed of 2500 to 3500. The old books recommend a speed of 2500 for a 3"
spindle. I do not think that is too fast for a balanced, squared off table
leg blank, but for an off balance, rough piece of oak log, it can be scary.
On the other hand, for a production run of pens, 2500+ is about right.
Whatever you get, join a club, read books, check the web sites, stay safe,
this is a lot of fun..
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"Ron S" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all. I've been woodworking (flat) for a while and have been
amazed at turning long enough - I want to play too.

I need some feedback on lathe opinions. I will not be buying a oneway
so I don't need that kind of advice. I am a very hobby woodworker who
buys way more tools than he needs. With that said I was thinking the
Jet 1442. Seems to be a decent lathe and the right price range. I
thought about the 1236 or a midi but I just can't get past a posting
where someone said 3/4 hp just wasn't enough for face turning.
Opinions? I'd rather buy big once but I have too much going on to be
dedicated to just turning. Will be strickly hobby work.

What I really want to do is to turn bowls and vases and maybe lidded
boxes. I'll do spindles and pens and everything once I get started.
Maybe make a chess set.

Also, Woodcraft is having a 30% off sale next month on Sorby tools.
Gotta watch the budget (buying the whole "flat" shop as well) so is
that a bargain that can't be passed up?