Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Default Possible Stupid Question

charlie b wrote:
CW wrote:

But aren't things the Borg sells MUCH cheaper than mom and pop store
prices?

Well, if you only look at the amount on the sales receipt the answer
is
Yes!. But if you account for the time you waste waiting "an
associate"

What about all the time wasted because their stupid ordering system?
I've gone to Borgs and found them "out of stock" of basic things like a
siding removal tool, 1/4 inch dowels, and 3/4 inch black pipe (they
were out of galvanized too). Don't bother to ask them when it's back in
stock, they will shrug their shoulders because they don't do it.
Some legitimately try to help. The computer always says there's some in
stock, and they will drag you around the store for an hour to try to
find it, but 90% of the time it's not there.

And then there's the fun of waiting 45 minutes while they locate
someone that knows how to run the pipe threading machine. Oh, and Mom
and Pop used to cut and thread your pipe for free if you bought it from
them, but they're out of business now.

Or try ordering tile from the Borg. Made that mistake. 4 boxes were
broken. The salesperson's first attempt was "Well, you did order extra,
didn't you?" Yes, dumbass, I did, but I didn't order extra so that you
could break them and have me eat the cost.
So they reordered the 4 boxes (after a long wait). When they arrived, I
didn't expect the color to match exactly, but apparently the
replacements were made at a different site because the sizes were
slightly different. Didn't find it out until my layout started getting
screwed up (too many were cemented down by then). The errors just
gradually started creeping in. When I get more energy and time, I'm
going to rip it out and redo it. I'm not asking for sympathy here,
because I was stupid to order from them in the first place. Just trying
to help someone else avoid the same mistake.