Posted to uk.d-i-y
TonyK TonyK is offline

Default Deck to hold hot tub

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news
Hi

I've been asked to build a 15' x 12' wooden deck to hold a hot tub. Most

of
the joists can rest on a small retaining wall, a concrete slab and a wall
plate fixed to the garage wall.

The tub holds 1300 + litres of water & up to 6 adults, so adding the (as

yet
unknown) weight of the tub itself I could be looking at 2 tonnes here.

Would I increase the strength much by spacing the joists at 12" rather

than
16" or would extra noggins be a better bet?

Cost isn't the major issue, I just want to make sure it's strong enough.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

I'd definately over engineer. 8" timbers, 12" centres and lots of
intermediate supports along the length. Noggins will just prevent twisting.
Running the joists the shortest distance (12') I'd go with a 3' span max. I
assume than means the joists underneath the tub would be supported in at
least 2 places.

I base this purely on experience with a neighbours tub and no scientific
reasoning!