David Kerr

Default Replacing leaking toilet

"Jeremy Taylor" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

My toilet seems to have developed a leak at the point that it 'plugs'
into the waste pipe at the back. My first question therefore - is
there an easy way of re-sealing this joint?

This may be a good time to change the toilet completely. I replaced
the floor in the bathroom many years ago with thick terracotta tiles
but, being fairly new to the DIY game I didn't fancy taking the toilet
out to do it. So I botched it and the loo now sits in a 'recess' in
the new floor about an inch deep. Ok - nobody's perfect.

The problem with re-seating the toilet on top of the tiled surface
would be the waste pipe. How can I get the toilet to mate with the
pipe now that it's going to be and inch or so higher? Does this mean
moving the waste pipe? This would entail knocking a slightly different
hole in the outside wall and changing the connection to the down pipe
outside - a big job. Is there no easy way to re-jig this to get around
the height difference?

Hi Jeremy,

Partly depends on the length of run of the waste pipe from toilet bowl to
hole in wall.
There is a certain amount of 'free play' in the pipe-connector-toilet pan
assembly,
especially if you have (like I did) a 90 degree bend connector. Have a look
in your
local DIY shed - some connectors are available which are designed to be
flexible
in order to aid alignment. If you are fitting a new toilet pan, check the
waste outlet
height as in my experience, they differ quite a bit.

HTH,

David