Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] dave_bonnell@hotmail.com is offline

Default Carpet question

Hi all,

Had some carpet installed today, including 3 bedrooms, a hallway, and a
set of stairs.

Should I have seams on my stairs and in my rooms?

The three rooms were all done with the same carpet. None of the rooms
exceed 12' width, with lengths of 16', 13', and 10'. The 16' turned
out well, but I quickly discovered that the other two (smaller) rooms
were laid using 'strips' of carpet. To me, this seems like a no-no in
the carpet world unless you've got a room that is too big. Am I
mistaken? I was under the impression that the rooms would be done with
'full' sheets of carpet. Not only that, but it looks like someone
mowed my carpet.

On the stairs, there are a couple of spots where the carpet is loose.
There is also one tread with a visible seam on it. This seems totally
wrong to me...it's in the middle of the tread! Why not cut the carpet
and place the seam where the riser/tread meet, or even below the
bullnosing?

Finally, these guys didn't put down any cardboard, sheets, etc. to
protect my existing floors (it was a wet day outside, and they were
tracking it in). They didn't bother to clean up loose fibers after the
fact.

Were these guys bad installers or is this par for the course?

Cheers,
Dave