Posted to alt.home.repair
airdoc airdoc is offline

Default remove washer odor

Al Bundy wrote:
"airdoc" wrote in
ps.com:

Speaking of "smell", I could be wrong but this "smells" suspiciously
like Spam. I "used" to be an appliance salesman and we always
recommended that customers leave the lid open for a couple of hours
after washing and to run bleach through the machine once every week
or two. That always seemed to do the trick.

Tom G.

/ If you ever take apart any washer that has ever had an odor
problem you would see a thin layer of fungus that is caused by
following detergent directions. It's like washing your clothes in a
barrel of fungus. Bleach will remove some of this fungus but it also
wreaks havoc with seals. There should be no reason that the lid would
have to be left open. If there is an odor problem it is with detergent
use.

a thin layer of fungus that is caused by
following detergent directions.

If this is the case, use oxygen bleach (sodium percarbonate). It can be
used everywhere from the washer to cleaning the black alge off of roof
shingles.

See: http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/oxybleach.html
Also many uses at http://www.askthebuilder.com

The big difference in sources seems to be the percentage of oxygen bleach
in what your are getting vs fillers. That **** that Billy Banks sells on
TV is probably 98% his belly button lint. I think he and that Sears whore
Bob Vila do each other.