Posted to alt.home.repair
gartulan gartulan is offline

Default power out but no breaker trips

hmmm--- so each of the red and black heavy guage wire coming into the
main but contatins 110 volts...

It appears that the problems are exhibited on all the breakers ont he
left side of the panel...if something is wrong with one leg it would
explain why multiple circuits are affected despite their independence
of each other

am I understanding this correctly..

I am comfortable checking for loose connections, re-wiring swtiches and
receptacles, but a little unsure of teesting for voltage at the box and
breakers..

I have a small tester 110, 220 but no multi-meter--I can pick one up

would anyone like to safeley advise me on how to check for voltage on
on the mail feeds coming into the box?

then I could call the power company and tell them one leg isn't giving
me all its got..

Secondly anyone have a decent electrician reco for monmouth cty NJ?

DAC wrote:
I had a similar problem not long ago, everything was running at half
speed or not at all.

With a handheld volt meter, it wasn't long til I discovered the feed
from the transformer was some how running at half voltage i.e. where I
should have 110, I had 55. Immediately I knew it was outta my hands
and called the utility co. Never heard what was the cause...but they
fixed it up line.

If you have a meter, what did it read?

DAC

gartulan wrote:
Folks I have a bit of a problem here--

just got back into my shore house after renting itfor the summer am
having electrical problems of various degrees.

Essentially I turned on my tv one day and power went out to multiple
circuits in the house, interestingly enough the power came back on a
few hours later. what might cause that?

I was told it oculd be loose ground on the circuity I have tightened
everything down in the box and doesn't seem to have helped.

Some of the wring in the house is pretty old so not sure how to
troubleshoot from here. the thing that throws me off ocmpletley is
that on circuit that goes off ifor the upstairs bathroom which was
rewired and 100 % dedicated line...what do I do?

Problem 2---multiple circuits in the house are now all of a sudden
exhibiting a "dimmness" --ie. turn on a 60 watt bulb and it burns
yellow as it not getting enough current....this problem occurs on
multiple circuits but not all and most definitley happend on the
bathroom circuit which, once again appears new and dedicated. n the
upstairs bedroom when you turn on the overhead light it causes a
flickering with that of the lamp as well. problem at the breaker.

whats killing me is that none of these problems exisited before and
now just all of a sudden show up.

I really need some help to localize the problem prior to calling out an
electrician..besides the fact that the electician will most certainly
bill me till I squeal...i need to know what I am dealing with and
diagnos as much as possible so I don't blow an extra g on T and M.

any help would be great..thx!