Posted to sci.electronics.repair
davidlaska davidlaska is offline

Default Can moters be run slower with less voltage (brush types)

James Sweet wrote:

What I thinks I am really asking is a long cord voltage drop similar to
after-market devices that slow down motors like a router?

Similar, you're limiting the current though rather than effectively
using PWM so you'll get less torque with voltage drop than with a speed
controller, the motor shouldn't heat up more than usual though.

Induction motors on the other hand will overheat if the voltage drops.
They're constant power devices and lower voltage will cause higher
current to be drawn to compensate, higher current = more heat.

Thankyou: it is popular among carpenters but they can continue thinking
that and get the large cords. I do not want to explain it unless asked.