Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Problem with a tray motor in a CD changer

"Matthew Kirkcaldie" wrote in message
In article ,
David Naylor wrote:

Sounds to me like a cap has gone south, Are there any caps that have
vented or buffy looking. check out the power supply caps, thats the
usual cause of slow motors othe than the motor it self

I had a look at all the caps - I've replaced caps before to deal with
problems in older gear. This unit is probably only six years old so it'd
have to be a defect rather than normal aging.

I might check to see if there's a ripple AC voltage on top of the motor
voltages - that should tell me if it's a cap, correct?

Thanks for your advice!

MK.

Electrolytic caps that last 6 years in power supplies these days, are doing
very well, particularly as, for the last 10 years, designers have looked for
the hottest places on the boards to site them ... Ripple on the lines may be
a good indicator, but an ESR check is a better one.

Arfa