Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ron S Ron S is offline

Default Making the plunge

2 things I forgot

1. How about Grizzly? I have an 8" jointer that I love. The lathes seem
to have too high of a low end speed though.

2. Buffalo woodworking show is in less than 2 weeks and I've never
been. Any idea if it's reasonable to expect a deal on a Jet lathe there
or should I drop $1050+8% at Woodcraft and have it on it's way?

Thanks.

Ron S wrote:
Hello all. I've been woodworking (flat) for a while and have been
amazed at turning long enough - I want to play too.

I need some feedback on lathe opinions. I will not be buying a oneway
so I don't need that kind of advice. I am a very hobby woodworker who
buys way more tools than he needs. With that said I was thinking the
Jet 1442. Seems to be a decent lathe and the right price range. I
thought about the 1236 or a midi but I just can't get past a posting
where someone said 3/4 hp just wasn't enough for face turning.
Opinions? I'd rather buy big once but I have too much going on to be
dedicated to just turning. Will be strickly hobby work.

What I really want to do is to turn bowls and vases and maybe lidded
boxes. I'll do spindles and pens and everything once I get started.
Maybe make a chess set.

Also, Woodcraft is having a 30% off sale next month on Sorby tools.
Gotta watch the budget (buying the whole "flat" shop as well) so is
that a bargain that can't be passed up?