Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin John Grossbohlin is offline

Default re-introduction

"Doug Stowe" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi John, I haven't been on the group for a few days, so I'm glad I
checked in. There's no chance of the sloyd information being lost.
there are too many of us with a growing interest. I posted to wikipedia
over the weekend. There was nothing on the subject of Sloyd, and it
felt kind of nice to actually know enough to write a first article
about something. the adress is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloyd

Doug,

Nice summary...

My eldest son has done some knife work and earned his Boy Scout Tot'n Chip
at age 10. Now that I've got a copy of the knife work book it will be on his
reading list. My younger son is due for a knife this year at age 8. I was 8
when I got my first pocket knife and have a scar to prove it--violated the
rules and paid for it. ;~)

Scout's offers opportunities to develop new manual skills but even they are
more into simulation than actually doing things today. I was amused and
saddened at the time that to find out that Scouts were given their fire
safety cards without actually lighting a fire! They built log cabin, teepee
and other fire styles but didn't actually light any fires. I don't think you
really learn how to light a fire until you're out in the woods, everything
is damp including you, and you need a fire to cook your breakfast...

on another matter, I have been promoting a hands in education
resolution that has been endorsed by a number of woodworking clubs and
organizations like the Society of American Period Furniture Makers, and
the AAW. It reads:

We, members of the (place your organization name here), adopt hands-on
education in our nation's homes and schools as our organization's
public service mission and imperative. We regard the use of the hands
in education as being an essential requirement for engaging the
passions of our children and youth. We acknowledge the importance of
learning through use of the hands for bringing forth the inherent
wisdom of each individual. We challenge our nations schools and
communities to create and sustain programs of manual training and the
arts for children of all ages.

This might be an interesting thing for your club if you aren't already
one of those that have signed on.

I'm part of the Northeastern Woodworkers Association. I serve as treasurer
for the Mid-Hudson Chapter as well as for the Kaatskill Woodturners
Association. We run some childrens programs at fairs, festivals, malls and
by invitation in school classrooms. Most of these programs engage the
children for an hour or less and are a one shot deal. There are a few
more-involved classes on things like pen turning. At our big show last March
my two boys assembled hundreds of wooden cars that were given to children
passing through the show. That got them on the front page of a newspaper as
the lead-in to an inside story on our club. I've discussed with my boys the
idea of having them do handcut dovetails at the show this coming year...
they've cut some already and I figure that with some more practice they'll
look like pros by the end of March. I told them I'd let them use my L-N
tools and I'd ask Tom L-N come over to see them work. Tom comes personally
each year to man his booth. They like the idea. ;~)

Are you reaching out formally to the organizations? Being part of the
Executive Committee I can certainly bring things to the group for
consideration.

I'm going to hold off on contacting Graham until I hear whether I have
a deal going with another publisher that is in the talking stage.

Good Luck with the publisher. Tell them there are customers waiting! ;~)

John