Ernie Leimkuhler

Default Sawzall blade weldability question

In article , Jim Roberts
wrote:

Greetings all,

O.K., it is actually a Morse brand reciprocating saw blade, but you get
the idea. I have the need to weld,(TIG) said blade to a piece of 16 ga.
CRS to form a serrated edge for gripping. It will only be a short piece,
approx. 1 1/4" long, and curved.
My question is, the blade contains Cobalt, 8%, will this give me any
problems welding?
I will probably use either Si/Bronze or SS filler, haven't made up my
mind yet. I also figured I will have to cut the blade with a Spedecut
rather than a bandsaw due to it being somewhat hardened.

Thanks in advance guys, if anyone cares I will report on my
success/failure and any injuries that may occur.

Jim C Roberts

Most good sawzall blades are Bi-Metal blades.
The cobalt is in the teeth that are Electron Beam Welded to the spring
steel body of the blade.