Posted to alt.home.repair
MtlSales MtlSales is offline

Default Repair Cracks in Asphalt Driveway

Well for really small cracks, I've used acrylic based asphalt crack filler
with decent results. The Latex based stuff always used to come apart after
a thaw cycle. The latex stuff, becomes really hard and then cracks with any
shifting. the Acrylic stuff usually maintains some flexibility, so the
small movements don't always cause it to crack. For larger cracks, I've
used the trowel grade asphalt repair stuff, which is similar to a cement
consistency when wet, but dries quite hard after 2 or 3 days if not laid
tooo thick.
I usually fill in the cracks mid summer, and then in late summer, I will
give it 2 coats of a decent top coating.. No, not a $10 bucket of coaltar,
something decent. Costs anywhere from $20 to $30 a bucket. I can then
usually go 2 or 3 years before needing to do any repairs, but those will be
minor anyhow.

I'm in Montreal, Canada, and with the amount of salt I use, I'm surprised I
don't need to repair my asphalt more often. I wish I could say the same
about my Concrete stair case however Sometimes, I wonder if I should
redo my concrete stairway, and then cover the whole think in a Marine grade
Epoxy. How the hell does the concrete in most ports, survive the salt ?
I am sick of doing Concrete repairs..

-Tony

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need info on a good way to repair cracks on an asphalt driveway.
There are numerous 1/4" cracks and hairline cracks on the asphalt
driveway in the area where the driveway meets the street. I have tried
driveway patching material (comes in a bucket) and sealant (comes in a
bottle or in a tube), and I have also put driveway sealing paint over
the driveway. And I have done this twice during the past 5 years.
Noon work. The cracks will come right back after a cold winter (I live
in northern New Jersey). I need to find a good way to repair cracks
that the cracked can stay fixed for at least two years or more. What's
that wonder product?

If there is no DIY solution available, please tell me whether I should
hire a contractor to do this, and what type of contractor I should
hire. What kind of method or product should I expect him to use to
have a good result?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan