Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Septic maintenance questions

wrote:
Google septic pumping chart:

http://www.nowra.org/files/KnowYourS...g% 20chart%22

1. Household chemicals like bleach don't hurt the septic system.
Microbes are everywhere and re-establish themselves automatically and
quickly. Even if you amazingly manage to sterilize the tank water,
microbes are in your waste and in your tank and pipe walls.

2. Additives are a scam.

3. Garbage disposals are practically standard equipment for a modern
kitchen and are very convenient. There's no need no deprive yourself
of one. Just check the septic pumping charts and adust your pumping
schedule accordingly. Pumping out a septic tank is CHEAP.

Great thread. Excellent comments. I like your #1 as wife sometimes
goes crazy with "Iron Out" which removes stains from toilets but
probably sterilizes septic.

Another comment, I would like to add, is you should know where your
clean-out is. When I bought this house, which was built by builder as
a spec house, clean-out was buried and I had to have septic cleaner
find it and add well ring and cap. For my 2nd drain field, switcher
box was buried and when I needed to switch, I dug it up myself (tough
to find) and had to repair it and added a well ring and cap myself.
It's a good idea to know where everything is if you need help and need
to call someone.