Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Ball park cost for breaker box replacement

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:26:49 -0000, (Chris
Lewis) wrote:

According to Mark Lloyd :
As a customer, I would consider it unreasonable to get a phone
estimate for one thing, then expect additional work for the same
amount.

Me neither.

However, the question is what is that "one thing"?

You get an over the phone estimate for $50 to hang a new fixture.
The electrician arrives, and discovers that the support point
has rotted out, the wire's insulation is falling off and is half
melted, and it'll require routing a new circuit, with wall
teardown and fishing thru a muddy crawlspace.

"You said you'd do it for $50".

I would know that that $50 is an ESTIMATE (certainly not a guaranteed
amount) that couldn't possibly include unknowns.

Well, he can't, because that "one
thing" was a lot more work than anticipated.

Watch Mike Holmes sometime, and see how a "bit of water leaking
through a windowsill" can turn into a full roof tearoff, and
gutting several rooms.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."