Posted to sci.electronics.repair
davidlaska davidlaska is offline

Default Can moters be run slower with less voltage (brush types)

I heard power tools run on long cords go bad sooner. I assume because
of the voltage drop the motor runs slower. I am thinking that the
voltage drop is not a direct factor but slower speeds means less
airflow since they all have a fan on the shaft (except pass through
vacuums unless heavy duty. I remember in the seventies sears had a
vacuum that had two speeds. But I think it was controlled by the entry
point of the wire in motor, not a device that is like a dimmer made for
brush motors. I saw one on a centrifuge and after market for routers.

I am asking if lack of air flow from lower speeds due to voltage drops
damage power tools (skilsaw and such)