Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Stowe Doug Stowe is offline

Default re-introduction

Hi John, I haven't been on the group for a few days, so I'm glad I
checked in. There's no chance of the sloyd information being lost.
there are too many of us with a growing interest. I posted to wikipedia
over the weekend. There was nothing on the subject of Sloyd, and it
felt kind of nice to actually know enough to write a first article
about something. the adress is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloyd

on another matter, I have been promoting a hands in education
resolution that has been endorsed by a number of woodworking clubs and
organizations like the Society of American Period Furniture Makers, and
the AAW. It reads:

We, members of the (place your organization name here), adopt hands-on
education in our nation's homes and schools as our organization's
public service mission and imperative. We regard the use of the hands
in education as being an essential requirement for engaging the
passions of our children and youth. We acknowledge the importance of
learning through use of the hands for bringing forth the inherent
wisdom of each individual. We challenge our nations schools and
communities to create and sustain programs of manual training and the
arts for children of all ages.

This might be an interesting thing for your club if you aren't already
one of those that have signed on.

I'm going to hold off on contacting Graham until I hear whether I have
a deal going with another publisher that is in the talking stage.

thanks,

Doug

John Grossbohlin wrote:

Doug,

I was doing some thinking earlier tonight. This while on a training walk
taken in preparation for a mountain hike this coming weekend with my oldest
son. My thoughts ran along the lines that if we could get the Gutenberg
Project to take these books on we'd be OK in respect to not loosing the
principles of Sloyd. I didn't find anything interesting doing a cursory
search of Gutenberg.org. However, when I pulled up Google Books
http://books.google.com/ I was delighted to find that there are PDFs of
Sloyd books! Two I found right off we

The Sloyd System of Woodworking by B.B.Hoffman.

Knife Work in the School-Room by George Baldwin Kilbon

It is hard to imagine that second one being published today!

I plan on doing a more thorough search of these sites but not tonight. I
REALLY have to get to bed!

John

P.S. If you talk to Graham tell him that I'd still like him to drive down Rt
28 from Woodstock to Kingston and present his DVD book at my woodworking
group's meeting. Northeastern Woodworkers Association has nearly 1,000
members with about 170 in the Mid-Hudson valley. We could set him up at our
annual show in Saratoga Springs too. I kind of lost contact with his partner
in the DVDs, Jeremy, after they canceled on us last spring due to a
scheduling conflict...