Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel Doctor Drivel is offline

Default Another boiler question

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Croco wrote:

My old Glowworm from 1977 only just scraped through last winter, and
reluctantly, I am gonna bite the bullet and splash out on a new boiler. I
live in a pre war semi detatched house in Liverpool with 9" solid walls.
I have a primatic cylinder which I would like to keep as I have recently
fitted a new bathroom round the cylinder.

The primatic will complicate matters somewhat. How difficult would it be
to swap for an indirect cylinder? Alternatively, have you got a decent
mains flow rate? If so you could consider a combi, leaving the primatic in
place (but disconnected and unused) until next time you redo the bathroom.

Take a reciprocating saw to it if it is tiled in.

Considering my old inefficient boiler is still going at 29 years, are
modern boilers as long lasting or are there so many parts in them that
they have a greater chance of breakdown?

There is also no denying that any modern boiler will be vastly more
complicated

They are not vastly more complicated. Some fixed burner rate boilers are
quite simple.

If you buy a good quality one, and look after it, then it ought to last
reasonably well - hard to say if it will do 30 years since many of the
current models available in this country have not been round long enough.

Viessmann condensers have been around for decades in Germany. Same with
Atmos in Holland, Both will last 30 years.