Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default AFCIs on a 220v circuit, sort of

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 22:09:30 GMT, e michael brandt
wrote:

Tom, you are indeed great. i am thrilled to learn that there are
actually double pole AFCI's, designed for shared neutrals like mine!
Altho pricey, that is the way to go. A simple solution. thanks so much.

emichael

Like baby pigeons, I've never seen a double pole AFCI, but I guess
they exist from practicle need, and people told me so.

Good luck, do a quick google search with information of what type of
panel you have.

Good luck, but I stand by the suggestion you get a licensed/qualified
electricion going forward.

later,

tom @ www.BlankHelp.com

Tom The Great wrote:
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 00:50:10 GMT, e michael brandt
wrote:

I appreciate your comments. Understand though that all this started due
to misdirection from the electrical inspector! He was surely correct
that AFCIs are required in bedrooms, but failed to put that fact
together with the common ground issue. He should either have told me a)
I must bite the bullet and re-run a circuit to one room, abandoning one
leg of my 12/3 OR acknowledge that the first inspector passed my 220v
ganged breaker and left things as they were. Instead he told me to
install AFCIs where it seems they can not physically work.

emichael

This is not a how-to, but to get you familar with how maybe an
electrician can help you.

1. Order an expensive double-pole AFCI breaker for your current
wiring method and panel.

or

2. Pull the orginal wire(12/3) down into a small load center, then
installed AFCI's in that load center then feed you bedrooms.

or

3. Tape to the end of the 12/3 some 12/2/2 and pull. The 12/3 might
feed back to your panel and then you will have the correct wire and do
a normal AFCI installation.

or

4. A combination of these listed, or other ideas.

See? The idea is that you NEED a qualified electrician to help, and
home inspectors only evaluate overall work, they don't tell YOU (or
who does the work) how to do their job, it is their (or YOU)
responsiblity.

Good luck, and please tell us what happens in follow-ups.

later,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Tom The Great wrote:
On 16 Sep 2006 14:53:09 -0700, "emichael" wrote:

I had run a 12/3 w.g 220v circuit to my attic, and then branched into
two 12/2 w.g to run 110v to each of two separate GFCI-protected wall
outlets. Originally I had a ganged double pole 20a 220v breaker
supplying this paired circuit, and all was well. And the electrical
inspector was content.

But then a different electrical inspector told me that instead i needed
to have AFCI breakers in the breaker box, since these outlets are in
bedrooms. So, I bought two 20a AFCIs (I could find no double pole 220v
AFCIs and the guy at HomeDepot said with this situation they should
have been on two separate breakers anyway.)

Well, now the AFCIs trip (both of them simultaneously) whenever there
is any load on either circuit. My guess is that because there is a
shared neutral, the AFCIs are getting confused. But I am also
wondering if the problem might be because there are GFCIs at each
outlet. Can GFCIs and AFCIs cooexist okay? If so, then is there a way
to use AFCIs in this situation?

Thanks for your help.

emichaelb

No offense, but reading some of the replies, you need to leave this
group, and get yourself a licensed and insured electrician, before you
kill someone. Or worse, void your home insurance policy!

later,

tom