Posted to sci.electronics.repair
n cook n cook is offline

Default Bad volume pot on old stereo - Replacement?

JANA wrote in message
Get some tuner and control cleaner from any electronics supplier. DO NOT

use
anything like WD-40, or you will have to buy a new pot. The original will

be
impossible to find. You may end up having to replace it with something

else,
which may require cutting and filing the shaft to fit the original knob.

If
the pot has any taps on it, then the job will get more complicated if you
cannot find an exact match in its electrical specifications.

I found that most of the time, simply cleaning the pot with the proper
cleaner will fix it for a long time.

--

JANA
_____

"Echinos" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an old Morse brand FM stereo / phonograph unit (model 74452 for
the extra-curious). The volume crackles horribly when I turn it up and
down. I have the pot half-disassembled and half-disconnected.

I am thinking that I can either clean it, or replace it. This is a 30+
year old stereo, so I would like to replace it, but it is a double-pot.
I've googled and such a bit, but I've not been encouraged with the
results. So, I'm back to cleaning it. I have gone through some past
posts, and it seems that while cleaning is an option, it is not
guaranteed to work for any significant period of time, if at all. I may
try to get some cleaner tomorrow, but I'd like to know what you may
think of the situation.

Details on the pot - It is labelled with the following:

Top Pot - VR-23J M 250Kohm AX2 SF J62X (or J82X, not sure)

Bottom Pot - 3A125VAC 1.5A250VAC

So, as you can see, the pot is double because the top is for volume and
the bottom is for power. It clicks when you turn it all the way CCW.
Also, one of the wires from the wall plug goes straight to one of the
terminals.

Basically, my question boils down to: Is there any hope of replacement,
or am I stuck with seeing if I can clean it?

I can post links to pictures if anyone wants a look.

Cheers.

You seem to come across totally different 'dirty' pots that I come across.
Years ago I realised it was a pointless , even fraudulent maybe, policy of
cleaning dirty/crackly pots. I always disassemble now and renovate or on the
rare occassion a replacement, rare because of always conflicting physical
variations. They nearly always have a worn out ring in the resistive track
that no amount of cleaning will sort out. The only exceptions seem to be
where the slider has disintegrated/bent which cleaning won't help anyway

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England