Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] bob.kirkpatrick@heapg.com is offline

Default Laquer finish for outside??

mcgyver wrote:
I've got a 70" x 44" x 4" red cedar burl that is going to become a patio
table (will be absolutely beautiful) but i'm trying to figure out what to do
for a finish (I'm in the Northwest). Was thinking of 4-5 coats of sprayed
on lacquer to completely seal it as i've done alot of work with spraying
before...just never for outside furniture. this burl has been dried for the
past 20 years. Any suggestions on a finish, spar varnish, epoxy? or will
the lacquer be sufficient. thanks

Something like Z Spar Flagship Varnish (www.jamestowndistributors.com
is one source) should work here. I use this on cedar lawn funiture.
It has serious UV blockers and is designed for severe environments.
For long term protection plan on a lot of coats to start with an annual
sand and two coats. A year's worth of direct sunlight will degrade the
top two coats at most. This will out perform ordinary ureathane and
spar varnishes in sunlight.