Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber Pat Barber is offline

Default Critical checks to make on a used Unisaw?

Almost "all" parts for a Unisaw can be had.

Some parts are very hard to find but very few.

If the saw is in one pice with no major rust
on cabinet that can not be repaired, there
would be VERY little that would stop me from
buying. Even lousy sheet metal can be fixed.

Missing parts hand wheels,dust covers,motor covers,
cracked tops and three phase motors present NO
major challenges.

Sometimes, the journey is more fun than the ownership.

The saw weighs "about" 380lbs and can be disassembled
for transport. The motor and top can be taken off with
basic hand tools.

You will be amazed at what you can end up with with a
little sweat equity.

Keith Carlson wrote:

Found a used Unisaw for sale locally - they're asking $100. I cruise through
the ads once in a while hoping I might find a well-made old machine at a
good price. This saw is older - not as old as Keith Bohn's A-100 Unisaw
shown on owwm.com - but as described seems to be in good shape, and it would
have to have some major problems to be worth less than $100, right?

I'm hoping to get ahold of the seller tomorrow and check it out. What I'm
wondering is - what are the critical things to check to know if I should
walk away from it. I know I can't use it if it has a 3-phase motor. Should
bring a straightedge to check the flatness of the table. What else? I think
I've read trunnion bearings, but I'm not sure how to check those.

Also, in case this thing is for real, I want to be ready to cash & carry,
what's the best way to move this? About how much do they weigh? How
difficult is it to remove the top and move the cabinet and top separately?

Thanks so much for any advice.