Posted to rec.woodworking
Jesse R Strawbridge Jesse R Strawbridge is offline

Default Cutting a formica top cleanly

Greg Guarino wrote:
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 01:03:45 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Greg Guarino" wrote in message

I'm wondering what other ways there might be to go about this. I was
considering using a router to make a shallow cut through the formica,
then follow it with a circular saw.

Cut it close to 1/4" or 1/2" with the power saw and then finish it off with
a straightedge and a router.

As I replied to someone else, how deep can a router be reasonably
expected to cut? The piece is an inch and a half thick. What router
bit would you get for this task? I've only got a couple, none of
which will suit this application.

I'm guessing that the reason people are suggesting using the router
for the whole cut is so there's just one setup, guaranteeing
precision. But I lose that if I have to do half the cut from each
side, don't I?

Greg Guarino

Greg,

Straight cutting router bits come in lengths up to 2" tho probably not
in 1/4" shank. You can use them on thicker pieces by using pattern bits
(straight bits with a bearing on top) and flush trimming bits (straight
bits with a bearing on the bottom). Regular straight bits (with or
without bearings) are much cheaper than the solid carbide spiral bits.

Unless you are willing to spend some money on a bit or three, I'd just
use your 7" saw with a good fine tooth blade and a straight edge guide,
cutting from the back. Pre-score the cut line to reduce chipout. On
the other hand, it is a reason to add to your router bit collection. =)

Jess.S