Posted to rec.woodworking
Jesse R Strawbridge Jesse R Strawbridge is offline

Default Cutting a formica top cleanly

Greg Guarino wrote:
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 03:46:43 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Do all the cutting with the router bit in several passes.

Hmmm. The piece is 1.5" thick. Do router bits exist that are that
long? And if they do, wouldn't they probably be a larger diameter
(plowing out more material) than one would ideally want?

Don't get me wrong; the idea of setting up a fence ONCE really appeals
to my sense of precision (and laziness), but I wonder if it's
practical.

Greg Guarino

Yes they exist, typically in 1/2 inch. Cutting from the bottom, you
need an up cutting bit. You wouldn't really be losing anymore than if
you rough cut, then trimmed with the router. Downside is the bits are
solid carbide and expensive. You could also use a regular straight
cutting bit from the top and either score the cut line or take a very
shallow first pass.

Jess.S