Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino Greg Guarino is offline

Default Cutting a formica top cleanly

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 01:03:45 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Greg Guarino" wrote in message

I'm wondering what other ways there might be to go about this. I was
considering using a router to make a shallow cut through the formica,
then follow it with a circular saw.

Cut it close to 1/4" or 1/2" with the power saw and then finish it off with
a straightedge and a router.

As I replied to someone else, how deep can a router be reasonably
expected to cut? The piece is an inch and a half thick. What router
bit would you get for this task? I've only got a couple, none of
which will suit this application.

I'm guessing that the reason people are suggesting using the router
for the whole cut is so there's just one setup, guaranteeing
precision. But I lose that if I have to do half the cut from each
side, don't I?

Greg Guarino