Posted to rec.woodworking
Paul D Paul D is offline

Default Short vs Long Rip Fence

Here, Here ... I agree totally with all you say. well with one minor
exception

Use the right tool or machine for its intended purpose
and in the name of all that's holy - don't try cutting
circles on a table saw! Coves - maybe.

Coves ... no thanks not for me. The method used for cutting circles and
coves is basicly the same, creeping up slowly and 'planing' the cut. You are
making the saw blade cut in a direction it was not intended to.The number 1
rule of a saw bench is to avoid contact with the rear teath of the blade ...
thats where kickback monster lives and if you have ever seen him in full
stride you know how scary he is ..... worse than the missus with pmt and she
just found that you spend another cpl of grand on tools. Apart from that
bearings on saw arbours are not designed for lateral forces.

One line from your reply that i think deserves at least one more mention
Use the right tool or machine for its intended purpose
Use the right tool or machine for its intended purpose
Use the right tool or machine for its intended purpose
Use the right tool or machine for its intended purpose
Use the right tool or machine for its intended purpose
Use the right tool or machine for its intended purpose

sorry, am I nagging again?