Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Jesse R Strawbridge Jesse R Strawbridge is offline

Default Suggestions needed on fixing wood damage from dog and rot.

Mike Marlow wrote:
"Jesse R Strawbridge" wrote in message
t...

Assuming you don't want to paint the door, on the door itself I'd use a
router with a jig to remove 1/8" to 1/4" of the damage on the wide part
of the rails and styles, fill any deeper damage, and glue on a matching
veneer (thickness sized to the amount removed). I can't tell what the
detail on the edge next to the glass is but removing the damage with a
sharp chisel and adding a strip to match the existing detail should
work. Remove the glass from the door, if possible, before working on
it. In either case, tape the glass just in case.

This was the first approach that occured to me also. I think this is what
I'd do.

On the rotted portion outside, carefully cut back to solid wood, install
a piece of pressure treated using a half lap joint and nails, prime,
and paint.

That's a lot of work. I'd just put up a new piece of brick molding.

If the rotted piece isn't treated (stabilized) or replaced, it will just
get worse (unfortunately I know from experience). It is not that much
work. You could do the cutting with a Sawzall or a jigsaw but it occurs
to me that a rotary saw (which I don't own) would work very well. A
little chisel work would be needed to finish the lap joint.

Jess.S