Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Septic maintenance questions

wrote in news:sblqg257cprmu6ohakvkc8i84jqs4ts1io@
4ax.com:

After living with city sewer systems for 75+ years we now are "proud
owners" of a septic system and about to be two systems. New
woodshop/garage will have half bath and sink for cleanup on a septic.
Have read don'ts like using bleach down the sink that will kill off
the critters that make septics work and some other tips but would
really like to go to a comprehensive site for more info. Does one
exist? Shortly after moving in a phone solicitor asserted we HAD TO
use their product monthly or we'd ...! Our DIL uses something monthly
but I question 3-5 ounces down the drain into a 1,000-1,500 gallon
tank having a significant impact. Permit for new septic notes that
1,500 gallon system is required for disposal houses. Previous owner
apparently had a disposal as a switch near the sink doesn't connect to
anything and wires under the sink terminate in wire nuts. Our house
septic is 1,000 gallons. Observations welcomed.

Use common sense primarily. The thing is meant for crap, **** and water.
Everything else is foreign.

Of course other stuff ends up there naturally and there's nothing you can
do - dirt from laundry, toilet paper, dish soap, etc.

Concentrate on minimizing foreign stuff. If you have to use something like
dishwashing detergent, use what will minimize impact.

Some things I can think of offhand:

Dishwasher soap: Use liquids. Some crystals end up in the tank.

Laundry detergent: Same as dishwasher

Use low phosphate detergents.

Toilet paper: Use plain white.

Grease: Absolutely none! Nil! It hardens into small and large white clumps.
Even the little grease from browning ground meat. Toss it in a can and put
in trash.

Chicken: I don't eat chicken. Chickens eat their own ****.

Household cleaners: If I had it in a bucket, I toss the bucket outside when
done. If your scared it will screw up your lawn or driveway, think what it
will do to the bio system in the septic. At least you don't need a backhoe
to fix some bad grass spots.

Paint: Don't wash painting project tools in the house. Take it out in the
yard and hit it wih the hose. It won't trash the grass. If it did, see
household cleaners above.

Condoms: Though it may be cheaper to replace a septic system vs knocking up
your wifes sister, not in the toilet with them.

Filtered cigarette butts: No no no! Go outside to smoke the "after" butt
and toss the condom over the fence or something.

Leep in mind women use a lot more toilet paper than men. Well, I don't wipe
my dink afterwards anyway. The more women in the household, the more paper
in the tank. Keep that in mind when you decide on pumping frequency.

Cat litter: Don't be a jack ass.

Paper towels: No. Not made biodegradable like some toilet papers.

Tampons: I don;t care what the box says. Trash it.

Faucett/toilet drips: Fix em right away.. Even the smallest one. Something
dripping a quart an hour will cycle an entire 1500 gal tank in 4 days.

There are many more. Use Google and find may sites with suggestions. You'll
start noticing common no-nos. Some have better detailed stuff like
http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/septic.html where washing machine
lint stays suspended in water. A good percentage of it is synthetic and not
biodegradable. Out to the drain field with you!