lane

Default Need help getting a metalworking starter kit

"Digital DJ" wrote in message
om...
Thanks, all this info is really helpful.

Don't think I've ever seen a "metalworking starter set". Where did you

see
the ones you mentioned.

The ones that looked closest to what I'm after are at:

http://www.tinmantech.com/html/kits.html

First question is, does he have any tools now?

As far as I know, he has nothing other than the usual home assortment
of screwdrivers & wrenches, drill, etc. Nothing specific to working
with metal, though.

For the type of art that you mentioned a plasma cutter comes to mind.
But you're not going to touch one for $500.

OK, how far off am I? Do plasma cutters cost in the thousands?

Many thanks for all your other suggestions. One more question...
where do I get the metal stock itself? How much should I budget for
that?

The Tin Man Tech sets are for those who want to shape sheet metal for making
skin parts for cars and airplanes and take special skills to carry it off
effectively. I doubt this is what your friend needs or wants. But hey, I've
been wrong before. BTW I have personally met Kent White. He is very talented
and a world renowned sheet metal worker besides a nice guy.

A decent plasma cutter starts out around $1500 and up.

The idea of a gift certificate would probably be best, and let him decide
how to spend it.

Lane