Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Slightly OT-Compressors

charley's suggestions are good - note also, buy CFM, don't even look at the
horsepower - I've seen 8 HP comperessors that put out less than my old 2 hp
sears compressor, and that would (at 7.2 cfm) barely keep up with a spray
gun - I have a larger compressor now (Quincy) of the type that one finds in
a commercial outfit - very much nicer - it has a pressurized oiling system
with a real oil pump and a real oil pressure gauge - the sears unit used a
splash system (like a lawm mower engine).

"Charley" wrote in message
Just a word of warning. Don't buy anything too cheap or small, because
after you have compressed air available in your shop you will find all
kinds
of good uses for it and wish you had bought a better compressor. It's
amazing how much you can do with it and you will kick yourself for not
buying one sooner. The oil type compressor lasts longer if you maintain it
and it is much quieter than the oil-less type. A good size to start with
is
around 6-8 CFM at 90 PSI. It's big enough easily to run one tool at a time
of almost anything that you might like to run except for a sand blaster.
It
will even handle a spray gun. You should be able to easily find one this
size within your $300 budget. Some of the best deals that I've seen lately
were at Tractor Supply but the Borgs have pretty good prices on them too.

--
Charley