Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

Default Cutting a formica top cleanly

Greg Guarino wrote:

: I thought awhile about how I might cut the first one. Not knowing
: anything, I ended up scoring the line with a razor knife a bunch of
: times, then using a small circular saw to cut just barely through the
: formica and a 7" circular saw to cut through the rest. I cut it from
: the top. The result was passable, but I think it could have been
: better.

: I'm wondering what other ways there might be to go about this. I was
: considering using a router to make a shallow cut through the formica,
: then follow it with a circular saw.

Get a 40 tooth or better blade for the circular saw.

Turn the countertops upside down, so that the saw blade cuts
inwards toward the formica (if right side up, the blade
would pull the forimica upwards, causing chipping).

` -- Andy Barss