Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Asbestos Inspection

"HeyBub" wrote in message
I am not sure if a popcorn ceiling is flaking. We're finding white
stuff and think it might be coming from the popcorn ceiling. Any
experience with this? We'd like to get the flakes tested by an
asbestos tester. Any recommendations on inspectors in the Los Angeles
area?

If you get it tested and it IS asbestos:

1. If you want to remove it, be prepared for a multi-thousand dollar
project.
2. If you don't remove it, you will be obligated to disclose to
prospective buyers that your building is contaminated by death-dealing
asbestos. This, in turn, will cause a multi-thousand dollar loss.

Your other alternative is to paint over it. That's a couple of hundred
bucks.

I live in Las Vegas. Instead of spending multi thousands, buy me a couple
of plane tickets on Southwest to where you live in California, and we'll
come take it down for you. I am 57 and my wife is 60. Or just give us a
couple of grand, and we'll drive down.

I've done about a dozen, and there's nothing to it. You're the homeowner.
You can do it yourself with no permits, no nothing. You should be able to
go get four guys down by Home Depot or Star Nursery, and for about $500 have
it done and all cleaned up.

What's all this fuss about? It's not nuclear rocket surgery, and as long as
you keep it wet, it has about as much danger factor as wet gunpowder.

Where do you live in California? Shoot, now that I have made the offer, you
will probably get deluged from offers from people who live a lot closer than
I do, and who will do it for less. I still think the day laborer thing is
the way to go.

Oh, well.

Steve