Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Septic maintenance questions

wrote:
After living with city sewer systems for 75+ years we now are "proud
owners" of a septic system and about to be two systems. New
woodshop/garage will have half bath and sink for cleanup on a septic.
Have read don'ts like using bleach down the sink that will kill off
the critters that make septics work and some other tips but would
really like to go to a comprehensive site for more info. Does one
exist? Shortly after moving in a phone solicitor asserted we HAD TO
use their product monthly or we'd ...! Our DIL uses something monthly
but I question 3-5 ounces down the drain into a 1,000-1,500 gallon
tank having a significant impact. Permit for new septic notes that
1,500 gallon system is required for disposal houses. Previous owner
apparently had a disposal as a switch near the sink doesn't connect to
anything and wires under the sink terminate in wire nuts. Our house
septic is 1,000 gallons. Observations welcomed.

Bodily wastes will put out enough bacteria to digest things in your
septic tank. Expensive additives are unnecessary. Thirty years and mine
is functioning well. We pump settling tank out every three years.
Only comment pumper had was he advised liquid detergents as there was
some grease build-up. We use disposal sparingly and make sure we do
not dump grease down it. Little bleach from wash will not hurt
anything. Only paper that should be flushed is toilet paper as other
disposable paper like facial tissues or napkins may not degrade as
readily. Our original system did not perk well and we had to put in an
alternate drain field and I sometimes switch back and forth to let one
field rest and clean. Today in this area 2 fields must be put in.
More people in house, more water in system, more possibility of drain
field bubbling up.