Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack Jack is offline

Default Septic maintenance questions

wrote:
After living with city sewer systems for 75+ years we now are "proud
owners" of a septic system and about to be two systems. New
woodshop/garage will have half bath and sink for cleanup on a septic.
Have read don'ts like using bleach down the sink that will kill off
the critters that make septics work and some other tips but would
really like to go to a comprehensive site for more info. Does one
exist? Shortly after moving in a phone solicitor asserted we HAD TO
use their product monthly or we'd ...! Our DIL uses something monthly
but I question 3-5 ounces down the drain into a 1,000-1,500 gallon
tank having a significant impact. Permit for new septic notes that
1,500 gallon system is required for disposal houses. Previous owner
apparently had a disposal as a switch near the sink doesn't connect to
anything and wires under the sink terminate in wire nuts. Our house
septic is 1,000 gallons. Observations welcomed.

You know it would be nice if posters here at least gave the general
area they are in as different climates affect some things in different
ways and septic use is one of them. The no 1, dont do for any area is
to not put grease on any kind in the system another is coffee
grounds.How you use and where your at determines how long your system
will operate. My wife and I lived in Duval county Florida and used a
septic tank (550 gal) for 28 years before we had problem Then it was
that the original field tiles were of cement (WWII available) and they
finely deteriorated The tank itself was only about 1/2 of solids. Mind
you that was in Florida and the septic there have a worm in them that
eats most of the solids.So where you live makes a difference. At
present I live in Tennessee alone and my septic of 550 gals has been
going strong now for 13 years and never ben touched. So if your tank is
constructed correctly you will know when it fills with solids before
any go into your drain field..
Jack