Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Another question about glass dresser top

"Harlan Messinger" wrote in message
I wrote yesterday about getting colored glass inserts cut for a dresser
top. It was pointed out to me that custom colored glass is expensive. Next
question: can one effectively give quarter-inch sheets of clear glass a
tinted appearance by coating the underside with latex paint? Flat, glossy?

No, it'll look like a painted-over window. Maybe some automotive
candy-coat paint would work, but if I didn't want to pay for actual tinted
glass, I'd consider just dropping sections of mirrored plate glass in there.
Slate would also work, if you can find a local dealer with pretty enough
stock in the right thickness, willing to cut it for you.

Personally, the idea of having any breakable material on a horizontal
surface seems silly to me. I'd be inclined to go to the local custom cabinet
shop, and have some hardwood panels made in a matching or contrasting
finish. They can make them nice and square, and make the edges the exact
depth so they fit perfectly flush and look like they belong there. Just cut
some exact-fit cardboard templates for the pieces, and carry them in, along
with a measurement of how thick you need the edges. The edge beveling can be
on the top or bottom, whichever works with the design of the dresser.

aem sends...