Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Replacing GE Heat Pump with gas furnace

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:38:35 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Paulaner quickly quoth:

It was due to happen sometime, the blower motor died on my 20 year old
3.5 ton GE heat pump. I'm planning to switch to natural gas because
we like the warm air feeling of gas heat and we had the gas line
plumbed into the area already. The installer will only need to add
the PVC exhaust pipe to complete the conversion.

We've owned this house in Maryland for 7 years, and we plan to stay
here indefinitely, so we want to install a reliable efficient system.
The full system will cost a little over $8000 so I want to be sure I
do this right.

The company is recommending the Carrier Infinity 96 Gas Furnace
http://www.residential.carrier.com/p...finity96.shtml

That's what I have and love it, 4 years now.

and the Infinity Series Central Air Conditioner (21 Seer)
http://www.residential.carrier.com/p...infinity.shtml

I have a less expensive a/c unit and the new (replacing, GACK,
electric wallboard heaters) attic install cost $6k in 2002. I'm a real
fan of forced air heating, and this is the sweetest system I've ever
owned. It's very quiet, too.

Does anyone have experience with the Carrier Infinity products? Any
recommendations for a nice system? Should I look into buying the air
cleaner add-on, we have hay fever in the spring and fall?

I got the electrostatic filter element style and it works very well
for me. My allergies are 1/4 of what they were in CA, though.

I have another company coming out on Monday to quote a Trane system.

Carrier and Trane are the top 2, but I trusted Carrier more, and the
salesman/engineer was a bit more savvy. Trane wanted about $1k more
and I wasn't happy with his ducting suggestions.

Save the Whales + http://www.diversify.com
Collect the whole set! + Website design and graphics