Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith Carlson Keith Carlson is offline

Default Critical checks to make on a used Unisaw?

"alan" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 05:26:54 GMT, "Keith Carlson"
wrote:

I bought an early Unisaw and rebuilt it. I replaced the motor w/ a
single phase one. The top had some water damage. I tried
buffing,sanding etc but wasn't happy with the results. So I took the
top off and had it reground. It worked great, but the miter guide
slots became shallower, so I had to grind down the mitre guide
"rods.". I added a biesmeier fence and built a table, and placed the
whole asssemobly on an HTC rolling stand. The old units had cast iron
bases, very heavy and stable. The saw was really great.

Unfortunately, I sold it before I moved from LA, thinking I'd find one
in Chicago, but no such luck.

I'd suggest making sure the tilt and blade raising mechanisms are
running smoothly, and the blade spins well. Othwise you my have to
replace the bearing too. Parts are generally available, if you've
got the time.

Thanks for the advice. Luck was not with me, though. The saw was posted on
Craigslist at 9pm last night, I didn't see it and reply until a little after
midnight. Was hoping that people would have better things to do on Saturday
night than read the tools ads, but apparently there were others who beat me
to it. Seller never contacted me, and the posting is now gone.

Oh well....