Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Suggestions needed on fixing wood damage from dog and rot.

jtpr (in ) said:

| Our dog (now gone) did quite a bit of damage to the bottom of our
| sliders from chewing. I am trying to figure out how to fix this
| without replacing the doors, or even if that is possible. Also, I
| have a couple of rot areas I need to fix, and wondered whether or
| not one of those plastic fixes would be better then cutting out the
| wood and replacing it.

Jim...

The answer depends a lot on your skills and whether it's a painted
door. Swingman (one of the regulars here) did a door repair job for a
neighbor a while back that may offer some encouragement to rebuild the
damaged section.

The doors weren't sliders; but I think you might benefit from seeing
the photos on his web site - go to
http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects9.htm and scroll down about 1/3 of
the page. A Google group search for door rot will provide access to
the discussion that took place here.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar