Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Septic maintenance questions

wrote in message
After living with city sewer systems for 75+ years we now are "proud
owners" of a septic system and about to be two systems. New
woodshop/garage will have half bath and sink for cleanup on a septic.
Have read don'ts like using bleach down the sink that will kill off
the critters that make septics work and some other tips but would
really like to go to a comprehensive site for more info. Does one
exist? Shortly after moving in a phone solicitor asserted we HAD TO
use their product monthly or we'd ...! Our DIL uses something monthly
but I question 3-5 ounces down the drain into a 1,000-1,500 gallon
tank having a significant impact. Permit for new septic notes that
1,500 gallon system is required for disposal houses. Previous owner
apparently had a disposal as a switch near the sink doesn't connect to
anything and wires under the sink terminate in wire nuts. Our house
septic is 1,000 gallons. Observations welcomed.

One thing you don't really want to put down the drain is food scraps. The
food will take a long time to breakdown in the tank. This will just fill up
the tank and it will require it to be pumped out . Much of the solid waste
will desolve and breakdown into a liquid form and go out the pipes to the
ground.