Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
dustyone dustyone is offline

Default Delta 14inch (stuck faceplate)

Thanks guys,

I applied a little brute strength to the thing, and it popped right
off, along with .0237 inches of skin.

DJ Delorie wrote:
Newbie check: did you lock the spindle first? If not, there's no way
you'll get it off, because the spindle will just turn and turn and
turn...

Scary thought... if your lathe has reverse, bolt a plank to it, just
long enough to reach the bed, and turn the lathe on. Warning! The
board will swing around and smack into the back of the bed, and if it
works, the faceplate will come off FAST and probably fly across the
room a bit. Have someone nearby to (1) record the event, and (2) call
911 when you get hurt.

Me, though, I'd just lock the shaft, put a big pipe wrench around the
neck of the faceplate, and heave. Assuming I knew it really was
stuck, and not fastened on intentionally ;-)

Some faceplates have setscrews at the point closest to the spindle,
there's sometimes a groove behind the threads on the spindle for that,
so that you can sand in reverse without accidentally unthreading the
faceplate. They'd be perpendicular to the axis of rotation.