Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod LRod is offline

Default Critical checks to make on a used Unisaw?

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 05:26:54 GMT, "Keith Carlson"
wrote:

Found a used Unisaw for sale locally - they're asking $100. I cruise through
the ads once in a while hoping I might find a well-made old machine at a
good price. This saw is older - not as old as Keith Bohn's A-100 Unisaw
shown on owwm.com - but as described seems to be in good shape, and it would
have to have some major problems to be worth less than $100, right?

I agree with Marc that a failed critical component may be driving the
price. 3 phase generally just knocks the price down to about $4-600.

A recent ebay search revealed some components such as trunnion pieces
available. I don't know whether that's a one off, or if they're
regularly available. Still, I don't think I'd want to rebuild, but you
may be more receptive to it.

I'm hoping to get ahold of the seller tomorrow and check it out. What I'm
wondering is - what are the critical things to check to know if I should
walk away from it. I know I can't use it if it has a 3-phase motor. Should
bring a straightedge to check the flatness of the table. What else? I think
I've read trunnion bearings, but I'm not sure how to check those.

Don't be too quick to let 3-phase deter you. To expand on what Marc
said, you can buy a brand new, direct replacement Baldor motor for
around $3-400. Even when you add that to the $100 you'll get the
carcase for, you're into a Unisaw (with a brand new motor) for under
$500. Sweet. By the way, the motor mount for the Unisaw is
proprietary, so you're pretty much stuck with the price I mentioned
for a new motor, unless you're able to find a servicable used one (and
then watch carefully that it has the Unisaw mount).

You may also want to consider a 3-phase converter, whether mechanical
rotary or VFD (variable frequency drive). I understand from posts over
the years that the rotary converter can be done quite inexpensively
and allows that 3-phase motor to run (albeit at reduced HP) from a
single phase source.

Also, in case this thing is for real, I want to be ready to cash & carry,
what's the best way to move this? About how much do they weigh? How
difficult is it to remove the top and move the cabinet and top separately?

Take the top off. Makes everything manageble.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.