Posted to rec.woodworking
A.M. Wood A.M. Wood is offline

Default Critical checks to make on a used Unisaw?

marc rosen wrote:
Keith,
I can't offer you any valuable advice but from my experience seeing
older Unisaws it would take a cracked table top or trunion to keep me
from buying one for $100 (or if the blade tilt and height mechanisms
have perished.

Even if the motor is bad or 3 phase you could obtain a modern working
3hp motor cheap enough to justify your purchase. Although I have a new
Uni, I was very tempted to buy a 40 year old model last month for $300
just to use it in my garage as a rough lumber cutting tool. That old
unit looked older than me but it ran (single phase, 230volt)
nicely.

Or with at tune-up you can use it to make fine cuts that are every bit
as good as those you make on your new saw. The the mechanical
operation of the old saw isn't any different than your new saw. Ok,
maybe a new set of bearings are in order for the older saw.

I have never disassembled a Uni but it looks straighforward. Borrow,
rent, or buy (they always come in handy) a heavy duty refrigerator
mover with a strap function and you could probably move it your self -
except getting into the bed of a pick-up. They weight over 350 pounds
(I think the quoted weights of 400 plus include the cast iron wings
which are removable).
Good luck with this, I hope it's a gloat!
Marc