Posted to rec.woodworking
A.M. Wood A.M. Wood is offline

Default Critical checks to make on a used Unisaw?

Keith Carlson wrote:
Found a used Unisaw for sale locally - they're asking $100. I cruise through
the ads once in a while hoping I might find a well-made old machine at a
good price. This saw is older - not as old as Keith Bohn's A-100 Unisaw
shown on owwm.com - but as described seems to be in good shape, and it would
have to have some major problems to be worth less than $100, right?

I'm hoping to get ahold of the seller tomorrow and check it out. What I'm
wondering is - what are the critical things to check to know if I should
walk away from it. I know I can't use it if it has a 3-phase motor.

With a phase converter you can use it. You can also replace the motor.
Sell the three-phase and purchase a single phase.

Should
bring a straightedge to check the flatness of the table.

Sure, if it is really bad you may wish to pass. Though if that's the
only issue, new tops can be purchased.

What else? I think
I've read trunnion bearings, but I'm not sure how to check those.

Not sure what bearings are in the trunions. However if you remove the 4
bolts holding down the top you can check the guts for cracks. Also
check the teeth on the trunions.

Also, in case this thing is for real, I want to be ready to cash & carry,
what's the best way to move this? About how much do they weigh? How
difficult is it to remove the top and move the cabinet and top separately?

Depends on what you have for transportation. Two guys should be able
to lean it up against the bed of a pickup and flip it up on its top and
transport that way. First though, stuff a towel between the motor and
the top of the opening and crank the motor up so it doesn't flop around
while in transport.

Removing the top, like I said is a matter of removing 4 bolts. (PLACE
THE BOLTS & LOCK WASHERS IN A PLASTIC BAGGIE & LABEL WITH A SHARPIE
IMMEDIATELY) The saw is easy to reassemble if you know which of the
smaller parts are which.

Thanks so much for any advice.

Also, don't worry about a little surface rust. That can be cleaned up.

Bearings can be replaced. The Saw Center charges $80 or so to replace
the arbor bearings. You can replace them yourself, there are
directions on the saw center's web site, but you will need an arbor
press. The motor bearings are a bit more difficult.

One more thing, get the miter gauge if it is there.

Good luck.