Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Above Garage Attic Storage

waynesho wrote:
Ok, I have one yes! Thanks Hilary. One with the same idea, and one maybe/no
(thanks Bob). I will be insulating tomorrow. Have not purchased the plywood
yet. Again, very light storage ... but how about plywood? I would hate to
put down plywood and exceed the 2x4 capacity and sag the ceiling in the
garage. Any professionals out there that say OK or absolutely NOT?

Wayne-

Hilary's "yes" is site specific to her garage....it was ok'd by a
permitted installation.

The guy with the same idea may or may not have a similar situation to
yours.

My "maybe" is based on the fact that I cannot see your garage from my
keyboard plus if it was mine I'd have an engineer familiar with roof
trusses take a look & do some calc's.

I'm contemplating a tile re-roof....instead of doing the calcs myself I
had an engineer who does roofing calcs all the time take a look.
Better to have a guy who knows what he's doing (experience) do it than
me do something I seldom do......money well spent.

The fact that you're asking if the plywood (~2 to 3 psf) might sag the
trusses tells me you don't really know what's going on.

No pro is going to give you the ok site unseen. They're going to want
to see the installation; a drawing or pictures w/o a site visit
probably won't do. The professional liability for a CE/SE is just to
great.

btw taking a poll on whether this will work or not doesn't seem like
the best way for achieving a safe installation

cheers
Bob