Posted to alt.home.repair
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT is offline

Default Ball park cost for breaker box replacement

HeyBub wrote:
Tom Horne, Electrician wrote:
It is obvious from the tone of your inquiry that you believe you are
entitled to have an electrical contractor do the job at his/her labor
cost alone. That means he/she is supposed to absorb all of the
overhead cost of supplying the labor to do your job. Any business
that accedes to such demands will fail. Are you aware that people invest
in a
business in the expectation that they will make a profit?

Two years ago I had a Chevrolet dealership repair the AC in my pickup. *I*
provided the parts, THEY provided the labor. I saved about $400 on the price
of the compressor alone.

Of course at an auto dealership, the service department profit bucket is not
connected to the parts department profit bucket. Evidently, there is only
one bucket at an electrical contractor - but that is not true of all
businesses.

And, oh, yeah. Two hot seasons on, everything continues to work swell.

No qualified person is going to want to work with parts he/she did not
obtain themselves.

Not always. See above.

Qualified person is a "term of art" in the regulated building trades.
It means a person that is actually qualified to perform the work in
accordance with the applicable codes and standards. An automotive
mechanics work is not state or local government regulated for quality of
work in most places.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.