Posted to alt.home.repair
e michael brandt e michael brandt is offline

Default AFCIs on a 220v circuit, sort of

Sounds logical to me. Thanks.

emichael

Paul A wrote:
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
You actually have two separate circuits. With circuit A off, all the
outlets etc attached are dead. With circuit B off, all those outlets are
dead. The only problem or danger is in unsplicing the common neutral. By
connecting the two circuits to a double pole breaker, you eliminate that
possible danger as well. I don't recall code on when a double pole is
required for Edison circuits, but I believe if outlets in one box are
connected to both live legs, you're required to use a double pole breaker

Linked breakers required only on the same yoke (strap), not just in the same
box.

NEC 210.4 B (2005) (B) Devices or Equipment. Where a multiwire branch
circuit supplies more than one device
or equipment on the same yoke, a means shall be provided to disconnect
simultaneously

all ungrounded conductors supplying those devices or equipment at the point
where the branch circuit originates.