lane

Default Need help getting a metalworking starter kit

"Digital DJ" wrote in message
om...
Hi, I'm trying to put together a gift for a relative, and I'd like to
ask for your help in selecting the items.

He's a recently-retired metallurgist, and has always wanted to get
into metalworking. In particular, he wants to eventually create metal
art of the type that is sold at craft fairs, etc. (He doesn't want to
restore cars or planes or anything.) Although he knows an awful lot
about the properties of various metals (being a metallurgist), he is a
complete beginner when it comes to metalworking.

So if we spend about $500 on a starter set, what should we get him? I
myself know nothing about this stuff, so I don't know if he should
start with steel, aluminum, or some other metal. I've seen one or two
kits on the web, but if they don't have everything he needs then I
must know what else to get him. Also, does he need a separate welding
setup or is a "torch" the same thing?

If it's not too much trouble, I'd really appreciate your
recommendations on the following items:

* Tools
* Metal supplies
* Videos or books
* Anything else

Rough cost estimates and pointers on where to buy this stuff would
also be great. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Don't think I've ever seen a "metalworking starter set". Where did you see
the ones you mentioned. Seeing them would help with more suggestions.

First question is, does he have any tools now? For the type of art that you
mentioned a plasma cutter comes to mind. But you're not going to touch one
for $500. $500 isn't going to go very far unless it is just simple hand
tools, hence your knowledge about what he already has would lead you in that
direction. But for $500 you could get an oxygen/acetylene (torch) outfit for
welding and brazing with tanks and a cart. Find a local welding shop in your
area, look in the yellow pages. Or if you tell us where you live, I'm sure
someone here could direct you to a reputable place. Don't buy at a box store
like Home Depot.

Some ideas for smaller stuff; ball pein hammers, chisels, punches, hack saw,
drill motor, drill bit assortment, vise-grips, pliers, screw drivers, allen
wrench sets, files. These are things I would think everyone would want and
need. You could spend $500 and more just getting a good selection of these.

One good place with reasonable prices on line is Enco tools;
http://www.use-enco.com. They carry name brand items as well as their own
"Enco" line which is generally good enough for the garage
mechanic/metalworking guy.

Hope this helps.
Lane