Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Ball park cost for breaker box replacement

"Tom Horne, Electrician" wrote in message
link.net...
Eigenvector wrote:
"James" wrote in message
. ..
I doubt very very much that job would take 27 hours of work. I am far
from an expert, but based on electrical work that I have had done, I
would
think that "ballpark" time required would be 10 hours, or a bill of
$910
at the quoted rate. Even going to 15 hours would be only $1,365, but
that seems very high to me.

Now that I think of it, if they couldn't do the job in 10 hours or less,
would question their experience.

Of course, you know the best course of action now is to quickly get
several
more estimates.

--James--

That's the problem, all I've been hearing all day is "Sorry we don't give
estimates over the phone. click" Hmm.

So I give you an estimate over the phone of fifty dollars to install your
replacement kitchen fixture. I arrive and you present me with a ceiling
fan that you expect to have installed for the aforementioned fifty
dollars. The existing, sixty year old, three and one half inch, round,
ear less, box offers no way to support a new lighting fixture, let alone a
ceiling fan but you expect me to replace the box with one listed for fan
support, do all my own cut patch and clean up, assemble and install a
ceiling fan, all for fifty dollars. If I gave telephone estimates; which
I do not; I would tell you that it is a time and materials job not to
exceed five hundred dollars excluding the cost of any new wiring needed in
your home. You would call me a name and hang up.

I recently gave a family an estimate of $2000 for a heavy up from 150 to
400 amperes specifically at the existing service location. I excluded
compliance with any unpublished portion of the utilities tariffs. The
power company would not supply service to the existing meter location
after the county electrical inspector had signed off on the completed
work. Would you expect me to extend the service entry conductors, provide
and install main lug kits and main breaker enclosures, and provide
temporary service disconnect for the existing supply without any
additional compensation? Just what are my kids supposed to eat that week?
--
Tom Horne

It doesn't seem unreasonable to get a base estimate ahead of time to me. We
aren't talking about a $100 job, we're talking a potentially multi-thousand
dollar task. People don't have that kind of money floating around. As the
person paying, I fully feel entitled to know that ahead of time - otherwise
how do you know I'll be able to pay you? There's nothing wrong with asking
over the phone for an estimate of the costs.

You don't go to a car dealership, take a test drive, have the salesman show
you the works, get to sign the paperwork, then look at the price and walk
away - "sorry I can't afford this." You need to have a reasonable idea of
what it costs first. How do is that accomplished you ask????? TV ads,
sticker in the window, website, etc.

As to your question, I would expect to pay you for the work you did,
irregardless of what you quoted me. I think you get the impression I'm
penny pinching or trying to cheat someone here - not at all. But even if I
was, what do you care - you're gonna charge what you're gonna charge
regardless of whether or not I'm wheelin' and dealin'. Isn't it in your
best interest to be forthright with your rates and estimates ahead of time,
if only because it wards off the skinflints?

Doesn't matter to me now, I already have a contractor picked out and am
going to set something up with him on Thursday. Why did I pick him, I know
his company from previous work they did for my employer AND BECAUSE HE GAVE
ME A ROUGH ESTIMATE OVER THE PHONE. He politely understood why I was
asking.