Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne, Electrician Tom Horne, Electrician is offline

Default Ball park cost for breaker box replacement

Eigenvector wrote:
"James" wrote in message
. ..
I doubt very very much that job would take 27 hours of work. I am far
from an expert, but based on electrical work that I have had done, I would
think that "ballpark" time required would be 10 hours, or a bill of
$910
at the quoted rate. Even going to 15 hours would be only $1,365, but
that seems very high to me.

Now that I think of it, if they couldn't do the job in 10 hours or less, I
would question their experience.

Of course, you know the best course of action now is to quickly get
several
more estimates.

--James--

That's the problem, all I've been hearing all day is "Sorry we don't give
estimates over the phone. click" Hmm.

So I give you an estimate over the phone of fifty dollars to install
your replacement kitchen fixture. I arrive and you present me with a
ceiling fan that you expect to have installed for the aforementioned
fifty dollars. The existing, sixty year old, three and one half inch,
round, ear less, box offers no way to support a new lighting fixture,
let alone a ceiling fan but you expect me to replace the box with one
listed for fan support, do all my own cut patch and clean up, assemble
and install a ceiling fan, all for fifty dollars. If I gave telephone
estimates; which I do not; I would tell you that it is a time and
materials job not to exceed five hundred dollars excluding the cost of
any new wiring needed in your home. You would call me a name and hang up.

I recently gave a family an estimate of $2000 for a heavy up from 150 to
400 amperes specifically at the existing service location. I excluded
compliance with any unpublished portion of the utilities tariffs. The
power company would not supply service to the existing meter location
after the county electrical inspector had signed off on the completed
work. Would you expect me to extend the service entry conductors,
provide and install main lug kits and main breaker enclosures, and
provide temporary service disconnect for the existing supply without any
additional compensation? Just what are my kids supposed to eat that week?
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison